Set Up a Bank Account in Thailand
Our Thai company formation consultants can provide foreign investors interested in starting a business in Thailand in 2021 with more details about the requirements for opening a coporate bank account.
What documents are necessary for opening a bank account in Thailand?
• the second form for identification in order to open a bank account in Thailand is a type of ID that contains a photo – generally a driver’s license - or a reference letter received from the embassy or from a bank situated in their native country. If their spouse is of Thai origin, they can present the marriage certificate or the ID of the husband or wife.
• a document that certifies the ownership of a house, a lease agreement or a utility bill.
Who can open a bank account in Thailand?
Immigrants who hold a non-immigrant Thai visa, a residence, and a work permit in Thailand can open a bank account, in order to receive the remuneration and to make financial transactions. People with Thai business visas can open a bank account in Thailand when registering a company in the country.
A corporate bank account for a Thai company is subject to certain requirements and it is important that investors take note of these before choosing the bank and starting the account opening process. This is relevant because investors will need to prepare a number of documents required by the bank and failure to do so results in the inability to open the account or, at least postponing the operation, which will in turn lead to the impossibility to commence the business activities.
When they open a bank account in Thailand in 2021 for a corporation, company owners or representatives need to provide the proof of company registration, the identity documents of the authorized persons, the certificate of shareholder registration, the Minutes of the Board Meeting that authorizes the opening of the account and information about the authorized representative, the one who will be able to withdraw funds and perform other operations.
Make sure to solicit details about the benefits that come with this type of bank account and about the online platform available for clients who want to make all the money transfers via the internet.
Our team of agents offers complete services for company formation and related matters. For many foreign nationals, the language barrier is an issue and our team can assist during the process for opening a bank account, whether it is through assistance for filling in and preparing the documents or accompanying the individual to the bank/acting as an authorized representative who can open a bank account in Thailand in someone else’s name. For details on the final option, please reach out to us.
What are the non-resident bank accounts in Thailand?
Perks of opening a bank account presented by our company registration consultants in Thailand
• Just 3% conversion rates for ATM withdrawals or currency exchange.
• Possibility to transfer funds anywhere in the world.
• Possession of a debit card that enables numerous in-store and online purchases.
Please note that banks can update their conversion rates and the withdrawal fees in 2021. Existing clients are duly notified of these changes, however, if these rates are a condition upon which you are likely to work with one bank or not, we advise you to seek updated information, including from our team of company formation agents.
Also, a 500 baht has to be paid for the issuing of the debit card, but the operation is very rapid (as stated above, different banks can have different debit card issuing fees). Credit cards are approved for persons that have been living in Thailand for a long time. Before everything is completed with the setting up of the account, you must also set up a withdrawal limit. That limit is generally chosen by Thai banks at 20 000 baht, but the limit can be changed if so requested.
Provisions of the Commercial Banking Act in Thailand
It is good to know that a bank can be established as a public limited company, respecting the rules in this matter, where the minimum share capital needs to be in proportion to the registered liabilities and assets of the financial institution. Individuals who want to know more details about the Commercial Banking Law can solicit help and legal assistance from our company formation agents in Thailand.
The financial services offered by a bank in Thailand
• national and international payment services;
• foreign currency exchanges;
• local or abroad money transfers;
• the opening of financial deposits.
The types of financial institutions that are recognized in the country can be divided into depository corporations and non-depository corporations. The first category includes commercial banks, specialized financial institutions, saving cooperatives and credit unions and money market mutual funds. Non-depository corporations include mutual funds, insurance and leasing companies, credit card and personal loan companies, provident funds, government pension funds, asset management companies, securities companies, agricultural companies and pawn shops. According to data from the Bank of Thailand, the number of commercial banks in the third quarter of 2018 was 30 and between them they owned 45.6% of the total assets for that period.
The Bank of Thailand maintains records of the commercial banks’ assets and liabilities as well as other data on financial institutions. Entrepreneurs and investors may find these statistics useful before they open a bank account in Thailand. Our agents present some of these below:
- 2,843,466: net investments for all commercial banks in December 2019;
- 1,342,813: the net long-term investment out of the general investment value expressed above;
- 12,800,536: net loans to customers value in December 2019, increased from 12,661,796 in November 2019;
- 14,030,881: deposits value in December 2019, compared to 13,984,183 in November the same year.
The values are expressed in millions of Baht. The total number of banks that were analyzed for the presented statistics for 2019 was 30. The total liabilities/equities of the head offices for the said banks were 20,094,865 million Baht in December 2019. Our team can provide more details as needed and can offer information on various banks that are present in Thailand when investors or entrepreneurs are interested in a particular financial services provider.
When choosing a suitable bank to work with, another important criterion can be accessibility. This is why some will prefer to open a bank account in Thailand with a bank that has many branches in all areas of the country. The Bank of Thailand also provides information on the number of bank branches that are in place for the top banks in the country. The data is divided according to four different regions: the capital Bangkok, the Central, the Northeast, the North and the South. The information is useful if investors are interested in starting a business in an area that has fewer branches compared to the capital region. Our team of Thai company formation specialists highlights this below:
- Bangkok Bank: 229 branches in Bangkok, 274 in the Central region, 134 in the Northeast of the country, 140 and 118 in the North and South regions; a total of 895 branches;
- Krung Thai Bank: has a total of 854 branches, distributed in the following manner: 215 in Bangkok, 254 in the Central region, 134 in Northeast, 133 in the North and 118 in the South;
- Kasikornbank: 747 total branches – 264 in Bangkok, 246 in the Central region, 79 in the Northeast, 85 and 73 in the North and the South, respectively;
- Siam Commercial Bank: – this is the bank with the highest number of branches, a total of 959 throughout the country, distributed as follows: 321 in Bangkok, 324 in the Central Region, 99 in both the Northeast and the North, and 116 in the South.
Other financial institutions with which investors may choose to open a bank account in Thailand include Bank of Ayudhya, TMB Bank or Thanachart Bank. Please keep in mind that the information presented herein was valid at the time this article was written and as per the data provided nu the Bank of Thailand according to recent statistics. In practice, the number of branches can change as some may close or relocate. You can reach out to our agents for updated information or for specific details about a certain region in the country that is of interest to company incorporation purposes.